Alleyne Historic Sites
St. Mary's Church, Stowting, Kent England
The rev. Richard Alleyne D.D. Was appointed rector at St. Mary’s, Stowting in 1605. He remained there till he retired. His children were born there and christened in the church and his son Reynold left Stowting for Barbados in 1630. St Mary’s is the place where “ it all began” for the Alleyne family of Barbados.
St. Nicholas Abbey
This Jacobean mansion was built by Col Benjamin Berringer in the mid 1600s. Sir John Gay Alleyne acquired the home after his marriage to Christian Dottin in 1746 and lived there till his death in 1801. After his death the home returned to his late wife’s family. Today the house, which is in remarkably good repair, is owned by Larry Warren and is operated as a museum
Alleynedale Hall, St. Peter, Barbados
This estate was originally owned by the Terrill family and was known as "Cabbage Tree" Hall. Named for the Cabbage trees (Royal Palms) that lined the entrance way to the home.
Sir Reynold Abel Alleyne bought the estate in 1810 and lived there till he returned to England.
Today, this once great mansion is derelict, but is being restored by its present owner.
St. James Parish Church, Barbados
St James parish Church, was built in 1847. It is the oldest church on the island of Barbados. Even since the Original Wooden Church stood on the grounds, this church has been a significant part of the lives of many generations of Alleynes.
Alleyne family members have been Baptised, Married and buried here since the early 1700s and are still marking those significant life events at St James Parish Church today. In the North East corner of the grounds is a walled family burial plot, in which, a number of Alleyne family member are buried. Inside the church there are several plaques, mounted on the walls, to the memory of Alleynes of yesteryear.
St. Lucy Parish Church, Barbados
This church is also significant to the Alleyne family. Sir Reynold Abel and his family were parishioners here, and there is a plaque to his memory in the nave. In more recent times the family of Henry Alleyne attended this church and a number of this family are buried just outside the Altar on the north side of the church. The reverand Herbert Milton Decourcy Alleyne was rector here for twenty years from 1929 to 1949
Porters, Plantation and Great House, St. James, Barbados
Porters Plantation Was the home of John Forster Alleyne and later his son Charles Thomas. Porters was a very large plantation. Thomas Harbin Alleyne lived at Alleyne cottage which is believed to have been located on Porters property. Many Alleynes of the time were born and married at Porters.
The Dorothy Quincy Homestead
The Dorothy Quincy Homestead was built by Edmund Quincy. When the house came up for sale in 1769, Mary Alleyne, then widowed, purchased the house and 400 acres of land for her family. The Alleyne family lived there for eighteen years until Mary’s death. Her son, Thomas, then sold the property. Today the house is a museum operated by the Massachusetts Society of Colonial Dames.
(See “the Alleyne Family Barbados Quincy Connection” for further details)