THE ALLEYNE SCHOOL
Details some of the new developments and improvements at the school that have taken place in recent years.
The School which is now known as "Alleyne School" has its origin in 1785 as a small endowment School for poor white boys in the parish of St. Andrew. It was the brain-child of Sir John Gay Alleyne, a great politician and public benefactor of the eighteenth century. The School was renamed the Seminary in 1858 during the headship of Rev. C. J. Branch.
It was granted Government Secondary Grammar School Status in 1881 and renamed "Alleyne School".
Alleyne School was the first Government Secondary School to become co-educational in 1947.
The present roll is 805 students comprising 414 boys and 391 girls.
Click the above "School History to read a more detailed history of the school
In 2013 the Rev. Sir John O. Alleyne 5th baronet and 3rd Great Grandson of Sir John Gay Alleyne visited the Alleyne School.
The Photo at left shows Sir John standing by the sign at the front of the school